Another coveted scholarship is up for grab with Yayasan Sime Darby announcing its opening of application for the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship Programme for 2008/2009. The application will be open for a 2-week window, beginning 15 March 2008 and ending 31 March 2008. Yayasan Sime Darby Scholarship sponsors the students to pursue their higher education both in local institutions and overseas – notably established Australian and British universities).
The scholarship is open to all Malaysian nationals, who fulfill the academic requirements and intend to or are currently pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate studies at Sime Darby’s selected institutions. If you are an SPM leaver 2007 who has just received your SPM result, then the scholarship is not for you as the Pre-University sponsorship drive was done based on the trial SPM result, and was offered back in last October/November. Also, if you are presently receiving loan from PTPTN, you are still eligible to apply, and in case of successful application, you will need to terminate the PTPTN loan. However, bear in mind that you will still be responsible for any PTPTN loan repayment.
The scholarship will be offered to individuals pursuing the following fields of study:
- Engineering: Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, Computer
- Business: Accountancy, Finance, Business Administration, Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology
- Science: Agriculture, Food Technology, Plantations Technology, Plantation Management, Forestry, Biotechnology
Requirements for Undergraduate Studies:
- SPM (minimum 71As in subjects taken) and any of the following:
- STPM (CGPA of at least 3.5)
- Matriculation/Diploma (CGPA of at least 3.5)
- A-Level (minimum 3As)
- Australian TER (minimum 90)
- Individuals pursuing their first or second year undergraduate studies are also encouraged to apply
For Postgraduate Studies, the requirement for Postgraduate Scholarship as follows
- Masters Degree – Individuals should have obtained a Bachelor Degree with minimum Second Class Upper (Hons) or equivalent
- PhD – Individuals should have obtained a Distinction/A grade in average/ or any any equivalent grade in their Masters Degree
- Individuals who are currently pursuing their PhD in their first or second year are also encouraged to apply
Sime Darby only accepts online application, which is available in the website here. No manual application will be entertained. Since the website may experience some heavy traffic during normal hours, it is advisable for you to fill the application during the off peak hours. As indicated above, the application is open for 2 weeks from 15 March to 31 March 2008. Each application will approximately take about 45 minutes. Prior to applying, you need to read the scholarship application manual here.
The present Sime Darby corporation is a result of a massive merger between Golden Hope Plantations Berhad, Kumpulan Guthrie Berhad and Sime Darby Berhad. It was named as Synergy Drive and renamed the new Sime Darby. The company now operates in more than 20 countries worldwide, employing more than 100,000 staff worldwide. The company’s core business operations are in the property, motors, industrial, energy, utilities and others.