You may think blogging is only for those who want to talk about their hobbies or for people trying to share their personal lives with the world, but the truth is that blogging can be an amazing tool for business owners to help establish a place on the web.
Sure you have a website, but depending on the type of business you’re in, if your website only has information (such as prices and business hours), you’ll get people to go to your site once, read the information and once they have it, they no longer have a need to go back to your site.
A blog is different. It gives you a way to share news with your customers, show them a little bit of your personal side, and keep them coming back for more. They’ll think about what you have to offer more often, and customers that are thinking about you are buying from you. If you don’t have a blog for your business, here’s why you should:
- It’s an easy way to update your customers about what’s going on. Instead of posting a generic notice near your register stating your prices are changing, you can post a short note to your customers about why this is happening, adding a bit of an emotional spin so that your customers aren’t angry, but instead understand.
- You’ll create a personal connection with your customers. They’ll have the opportunity to respond to your posts, and you’ll then be able to respond to them, creating a dialogue that may have never happened. You’ll learn valuable things about your customers this way, which leads to marketing opportunities you otherwise would have missed.
- You can use your blog to recruit employees and staff members. If you have enough readers who are interested, you may stumble upon one that is your perfect employee. Who better to work for you than someone who already knows and loves your brand?
- You can respond to negative stories and experiences your customers have had immediately, calming down not only the upset customer, but also those who may hear about the incident later and come to the wrong conclusions.
- You can create keywords and links that will bring people to your business website, thus generating more customers and increasing sales and revenue.
- By offering an insight into your personal life, you are letting your customers know that you are just like them. In general, most people would rather give their money to someone they know and can empathize with than an entity without a face.
It’s just another place that people will see your brand, and the more eyes you have on you, the more business you’ll drum up.
No matter what kind of business you are in, a blog can be a terrific way to connect to your customers, share your news and thoughts, and generate sales. Once you’re up and running and see all these benefits and more, you’ll be wondering why you didn’t start a blog for your business earlier.